Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Crabby and Holly Become Friends


After Holly talked Crabby into being my boxing buddy they started hanging out a lot together and talking all the time! When I asked Holly (because I really didn't know Crabby that well yet) about what they were talking about, all she would say is "stuff." I started to feel really bad that they were hitting it off so well and I was still all alone doing my "boxing thing!" Then one day I went out to the pond to sit and think and there they were! I came around the corner and guess what I saw? Holly was teaching Crabby to use the compass and trying her best to place the Hyacinth bulbs in exactly the right place according to the planting guide! I asked them what they were doing and they said that they were going to surprise me next spring with the bulbs coming up in exactly the way the diagram showed. Holly said she thought her excellent compass skills would help in the planning where the hole should be dug and Crabby felt that if the shovel didn't work e could always use his claws to make the holes. I explained, after thanking them for their thoughtfulness, that Mother Nature is pretty much in charge of when and where the bulbs will come up. They did not understand that sometimes creatures decide to dig them up and eat them or move them to someplace else. They both thought that it would be a good idea if we got the squirrels, rabbits and chipmunks into letterboxing instead of wrecking gardens. I whole heartedly agreed with them!

Well, I guess this turned the tables for me and Crabby because he started to be alot more friendly and well, less crabby! Because he was being so nice I decided that we would try a letterboxing trip to Madison and points West that week. They were so excited to be able to finally go boxing together! After much cheering and singing we headed into the house for dinner and a movie. It was Crabby's turn to pick and we watched "The Little Mermaid" this time. Unfortnately the movie reminded Crabby that his greatest wish was to see the sea...Holly and I winked at each other...we knew the 10th anniversary trip was coming up and at least Crabby would get to see a really BIG lake---to get his claws wet you might say...next time--"Boxing in Mt Horeb"

No comments: